Most of the time the nutrients procured from our food are not sufficient and the need for oral supplementation arises. There are several reasons for this such as hectic lifestyles, longer working hours, stress, medical needs, nutrient-less diet, and higher consumption of junk/processed food. Iron, being an essential element, is a type of mineral that helps in the growth and development of the body. It is chiefly required to make hemoglobin, healthy red blood cells, and some hormones for the proper functioning of the body. This article details everything about iron deficiency and iron supplements. We have incorporated interesting facts like reasons and symptoms of iron deficiency, the importance of iron in the body, the benefits of iron supplements, and the 10 best iron supplements in India (best iron syrup in India as well as the best iron tablets in India). Keep reading ahead to know all the details.
What is an Iron Supplement?
An iron supplement is an iron formulation taken orally to prevent and treat iron deficiency including anemia. It is ideally prescribed to persons with low iron absorption or a poor iron diet. These supplements are safe when consumed according to the doctor's recommendation.
Reasons or Causes for Iron Deficiency in Body?
Iron is required to produce hemoglobin that increases RBCs. Hence, iron deficiency occurs due to the lack of iron in the body. The chief reasons for iron deficiency are listed below for your reference:
- Consuming a low iron-rich diet
- Heavy menstruation in women
- Pregnancy wherein the iron is spent towards the growth and development of the baby
- Internal bleeding due to any medical reason
- Poor iron absorption in the body
- Loss of blood from the body
- Inability to absorb iron from the food consumed
It is advisable to consume meals comprising of all the essential nutrients like vitamin C, zinc, and folate including iron for adequate absorption of iron.
What Problems Arise Due to Iron Deficiency?
Anemia is the primary and most common problem due to iron deficiency. If it is checked and timely corrected, it does no harm but if remained unchecked for a prolonged period, it can cause the following health problems:
- Infections and slow development in anemic children
- Pregnant mothers might deliver premature babies or babies with low birth weight
- Anemia causes low oxygen levels so the heart has to pump more. This leads to irregular or rapid heartbeat
- Heart failure or enlarged heart is caused in severe cases of anemia
With a healthy lifestyle, iron supplementation, and a balanced meal, the problems can be significantly reduced.
Who is Prone to Iron Deficiency?
Women and men are both prone to iron deficiency but a certain category of people are at higher risk including:
- Those who consume alcohol
- Pregnant women
- Children who were born prematurely
- People taking nutrient deficit or poor diet
- Vegetarians who do not opt for iron-rich food
- Frequent blood donors
- Infants showing growth spurts
- People doing heavy exercises
- Patients suffering from blood disorders
- People regularly consuming iron depleting medications
All these categories of people should keep a tab on their iron levels and consume an iron-rich diet.
What are the Symptoms of Iron Deficiency?
In the beginning, it is difficult to determine the symptoms of anemia, until a blood test confirms it. But when it is not taken care of within a reasonable period, then the following symptoms arise:
- Brittle nails
- Pale skin
- Lethargy and fatigue
- Soreness or swelling of the tongue
- Feet and hands become cold
- Weakness in the body
- Tingling sensation in the legs
Due care should be taken in case any of the above symptoms continue for long periods and timely consultation should be taken.
What to do in Case of Iron Deficiency?
If any signs reflect a lack of iron in the body, it is best to immediately consult an expert, get the blood test done, improve dietary habits, eat balanced nutrient-rich meals, and start taking prescribed iron supplements. The doctor might get the CBC(Complete Blood Count) test done that would calculate the levels of RBCs, WBCs, and platelets in the body. This test helps to determine if the person is suffering from anemia and requires treatment and supplementation.
What are the Benefits of Iron Supplements?
The doctor prescribes an iron supplement to increase the iron levels in the body of an anemic or a person with low levels of iron. The multiple benefits of these supplements are:
- Treats and corrects anemia or low iron levels
- Increases blood levels in the body
- Restores healthy pregnancy
- Reduces the risk of a premature baby or low birth weight
- Allows higher oxygen volume to reach the brain and muscles
- Boosts energy levels and hemoglobin
- Preserves numerous vital bodily functions
- Improves immunity and general well-being.
- Combats lethargy and fatigue
- Creates healthy red blood cells
- Builds higher concentration and focus abilities
- Induces better sleep
- Fights general infections
- Assists in the synthesis of DNA
- Essential for women's overall health
- Aids in the growth of tissues and cells in the body
Conclusively, there are immense benefits of taking prescribed iron supplements but these iron pills taken in conjunction with vitamin C, B12, B6, zinc, and folate can help in better absorption of iron in the body.
The 10 Best Iron Supplements in India
Many brands offer iron supplements and the market is flooded with a variety. But we will provide you the list of the best in the category to save your precious time and energy. The list of the best iron supplements in India is down below:
1. Swisse Ultiboost Iron Supplement with Vitamin C, Vitamin B6, And B12(Vegan Supplement)
30 best iron tablets in India for rebooting immunity and maintaining hemoglobin
Swisse Ultiboost Iron Supplement with Vitamin C, Vitamin B6, And B12(Vegan Supplement)Buy From Amazon
This is an iron supplement containing 3 other active ingredients of Vitamin C, B6, and B12. These tablets have evolved based on scientific research and help maintain healthy blood. It is ideal for an energy boost, keeping the nerve cells healthy, and better brain functioning. The combination with Vitamin C assists in the absorption of iron in the body. Vitamin B6 creates red blood cells and the Vitamin B12 maintains overall health.
- Premium once a day formula
- Provides antioxidant support
- Australian wellness brand
- No added glucose or gluten
- Vegetarian friendly with no egg
2. Boldfit Iron Supplement For Women & Men with Vitamin C, Folic Acid & Vitamin B12
60 veg tablets supporting blood building & fatigue-fighting
Boldfit Iron Supplement For Women & Men with Vitamin C, Folic Acid & Vitamin B12Buy From Amazon
This is one of the best iron supplements in India that has 100% RDA of iron and vitamin C. It provides mineral, immunity, and antioxidant support to persons with low iron levels. The nutrient-rich supplements are enriched with iron, vitamins C & B12, and folic acid with as much quantity as found in 10 cups of spinach, 1/ 2 cup of broccoli, 2 glasses of milk, and 5 oranges respectively. It has to be taken after lunch or dinner but not on an empty stomach.
- One tablet daily
- Clinically researched ingredients
- Vegetarian supplement
- GMO, soy, sugar, and gluten-free
- Increases energy levels
- Supports red blood cells
3. Carbamide Forte Chelated Iron with Vitamin C, B12, Folic Acid, and Zn
1 tablet covering the daily nutritional requirement of 5 elements in the body
Carbamide Forte Chelated Iron with Vitamin C, B12, Folic Acid, and ZnBuy From Amazon
This iron supplement supports bodybuilding, fatigue management, and energy-boosting. It incorporates the elements of iron with vitamins C, B12, folic acid, and zinc. These tablets have been shown to increase iron levels within 30-60 days of regular use. It ensures that there is no constipation and is easily absorbable. It is convenient to swallow with no bad aftertaste. It combats fatigue and releases energy in the body.
- 100% RDA of ingredients
- No gluten, soy, and GMO
- Reduced stomach upsets and diarrhea
- Natural iron chelate
- Pack of 100 tablets
- Vegetarian supplements
4. Nutrainix Organic Iron Supplement with Vitamin C, Beetroot, Spinach Leaves For Red Blood Cell Function
90 vegan best iron tablets in India - organic & plant-based with advanced bio availability
Nutrainix Organic Iron Supplement with Vitamin C, Beetroot, Spinach Leaves For Red Blood Cell FunctionBuy From Amazon
These iron capsules are 100% natural and are essential whole food building blocks to support blood health. The formulation is gentle and does not cause nausea or constipation. The promotion of the production of red blood cells takes place. The presence of vitamin C enhances the absorption of iron. A daily dosage of 1 capsule is recommended.
- Higher immunity
- Increases brain development
- Elevates mood and energy
- Hemoglobin formation
- Dairy, soy, gluten, and GMO-free
5. INLIFE Chelated Iron, Folic Acid Supplement With Vitamin C, E, B12, Zinc & Selenium For Men & Women
60 tablets that help in DNA synthesis and boost the hemoglobin levels in the body
INLIFE Chelated Iron, Folic Acid Supplement With Vitamin C, E, B12, Zinc & Selenium For Men & WomenBuy From Amazon
This is an iron health supplement that comes with a combination of 3 vitamins, zinc, and selenium that act as powerful immunity boosters. The desired dosage is 1 tablet daily after meals or as recommended by the physician. Because of its unique formulation that provides fast results, it is advised for men, women, prenatal, post-operative, and teenagers having low levels of iron in the body.
- Reverses iron deficiency
- High absorption
- 100% premium quality
- Gentle on the digestive system
- Reduced hair fall
6. Healthkart Iron + Folic Acid with Zinc, Vitamin C, and Vitamin B12
60 capsules that prevent anemia or iron deficiency by improving hemoglobin count
Healthkart Iron + Folic Acid with Zinc, Vitamin C, and Vitamin B12Buy From Amazon
This iron supplement in capsule form produces healthy red blood cells due to the presence of folate and B12. It has better patient compliance due to fewer gastrointestinal tract side effects. Vitamin C enhances immunity by supporting various cellular functions of the immune system. This dietary supplement is composed of a combination of iron with folic acid, zinc, and 2 vitamins.
- Reasonable price
- Easy to swallow
- Safe and effective
- Prevents frequent infections
- Scientifically formulated
7. Amway Nutrilite Cherry Iron
90 tablets that ensure better oxygen-carrying capability to all cells of the body
Amway Nutrilite Cherry IronBuy From Amazon
This cheery iron energy supplement is a source of fatigue management for people with increasing lethargy. The tissues require iron for the completion of various biochemical reactions in the body. The 3 iron sources in these tablets come from ferrous bis-glycinate, ferrous fumarate, and mustard greens. The inclusion of vitamin C increases the absorption ability of iron in the body and folic acid has immense benefits for women.
- Boosts energy levels
- Helps combat anemia
- Mustard green is a rich iron source
- Best concentration techniques
- Recommended by physician
8. Maharishi Ayurveda Iron Tablets, Raktda Iron Management Well-Balanced Combination of Calcinated Iron Tablets
60 tablets for iron management, improving hair and skin health
Maharishi Ayurveda Iron Tablets, Raktda Iron Management Well-Balanced Combination of Calcinated Iron TabletsBuy From Amazon
This health and energy supplement is clinically proven and is made from active natural ingredients. It incorporates elements like Praval Pishti, Shilajit, Giloy, Amalaki, and many other ayurvedic herbs. It also includes the natural herb Mulethi that helps in the relaxation of the mind and body. Calcium strengthens the bones for higher energy. The vitamins and minerals improve the overall vitality.
- Vegetarian product
- Maintains holistic wellness
- Prevents and fights infections
- Reasonably priced
- Combats fatigue, headaches & pale skin
- Improves brittle nails & restless legs
- Helps during hair loss & breathlessness
9. Carbamide Forte Iron + Vitamin C+ Folic Acid Supplement
100 tablets with ginger root and beetroot extract for higher iron absorption
Carbamide Forte Iron + Vitamin C+ Folic Acid SupplementBuy From Amazon
This iron supplement is easy on the body as it neither disturbs the digestive system nor causes constipation. The supplement gets gently absorbed due to the presence of vitamin C and provides an energy and immunity boost to the body. It is ideal for pregnant mothers, athletes, and persons requiring high vitality throughout the day.
- Vegetarian supplements
- Gentle on stomach
- No nausea and constipation
- The small size helps in easy swallowing
- Non-GMO and gluten free
10. Healthvit Iron Ferrous Fumarate 65 Mg
60 tablets vital for the creation of healthy red blood cells (RBCs)
Healthvit Iron Ferrous Fumarate 65 MgBuy From Amazon
This iron nutrient supplement provides a healthy daily dosage of iron to the body thereby building and improving brain and muscle functions. It cures and prevents anemia. Its usage is prescribed for inclusion in a women's diet for prenatal and health regimens. This also supports the supply of appropriate amounts of oxygen within the body by enhancing the levels of RBCs.
- Zero preservatives
- Reasonable price
- Improves energy levels
- One or two tablets daily as directed
- No artificial colors and flavors
11. Dexorange – The Best Iron Syrup in India
Orange flavoured 200 ml syrup with iron, folic acid, and vitamin B12
Dexorange – The Best Iron Syrup in IndiaBuy From Amazon
This is one such syrup that is recommended and prescribed by doctors as an iron supplementation. It has got Ferric Ammonium Citrate IP 160mg (equivalent to Elemental Iron 32.8mg), Cyanocobalamin IP 7.5 mcg, and Folic Acid IP 0.5mg. The alcohol content is 5.5% v/v and adequate overages of vitamins have been added in the syrup. It is the best iron syrup in India that is most preferred as well as consumed.
- 1 tablespoonful twice a day after meals recommended
- Useful in anemia of pregnancy and lactation
- Alcohol content 5.5% v/v
- Adequate overages of Vitamins added
Someone has rightly said, 'our body is our temple' and hence, it is our moral obligation to keep it fit, healthy, and strong. An iron deficiency can cause a lot of discomforts but with timely supplementation, the adverse effects can be reduced to an enormous extent thereby bringing in vitality and strength to the mind and body. So go ahead and get your hands on one of the above-mentioned best iron supplements in India. You can even get them prescribed by an expert and enjoy a wholesome life!