You are about to welcome a new member to your family and you should be well prepared for that big day. Why not? You wait for it for 9 long months! Here is a complete checklist of the items that you should pack in your hospital bag for delivery. It includes the list of stuff required for the mother, the baby, and the birth partner. We have also reviewed the best 5 bags in India that you can use for your hospital stay and carry all your essentials.
When to Pack Your Hospital Bag for Delivery?
You should pack your hospital bag at least one month before your due date. Do the preparations beforehand, including buying stuff or packing. This is important, as with the third trimester, comes its challenges. You may then wish to relax and enjoy your pregnancy.
Why Pack the Maternity Bag Early?
You don't know when your baby is going to show her presence. It is always better to be well prepared and not to run for things last minute. Refer to this hospital bag list for delivery to ensure that you have all the items that you may ever need.
Essentials for the Mother
First, pack the bag for yourself. Here are the things to carry to hospital for delivery -
- Your hospital card/OPD booklet and all the medical records (that is most important).
- A photo ID proof.
- Two sets of kurtas/gowns (front-open) in which you feel the most comfortable. You should keep your cozy pyjamas along instead of leggings or jeans so that you can get the best comfort.
- One nice dress for your photo-shoot (in case you have planned) with your baby. These are the pics which you will remember for life, so you need to look a little nice.
- Comfortable cotton-based lingerie including nursing bras.
- A bath towel and a hand towel.
- The toiletries - a toothbrush, toothpaste, shampoo, bath soap, and hand wash. You may also need a good moisturizer, wet wipes, or a deodorant.
- A hair comb and rubber bands.
- A pair of your comfy slippers.
- Some tissue papers and some jute bags to put in the used stuff (extremely useful).
- Sanitary napkins.
- A stole/dupatta or a nursing cover which can help the mother feed the baby with ease.
- Nipple cream and a nursing pillow (in case you need).
- Your mobile phone and its charger and your eyeglasses (in case you wear).
- And make sure you remove all your jewellery and cut your nails short.
|Sr. No.||Products||Buy Now|
|1||Maternity Nursing Bra||Buy From Amazon|
|2||The Moms Co. Nipple Butter||Buy From Amazon|
|3||Shyla by FBB Women's Dressing Gown||Buy From Amazon|
|4||Toiletry Bag||Buy From Amazon|
|5||Skechers Women's On-The-Go - Flow Slippers||Buy From Amazon|
|6||Feeding Pillow||Buy From Amazon|
|7||Nursing Cover for Breastfeeding||Buy From Amazon|
Essentials for the Baby
Packing for the baby has its charm and excitement. The items you should pack include -
- At least three pairs of socks and mittens (you may need these to keep the baby warm and cozy).
- Two soft cotton based head caps. You should always avoid woollens on a new-born baby and prefer cotton-based clothing.
- 3 to 4 sets of soft t-shirts and lowers. Prefer front-open t-shirts as they are easy to handle on a new-born. You will understand this once you start dressing your new one. Decide on the extra layers of clothing if it is the winter season.
- A swaddling sheet. Use a thick cotton based sheet. And if it is winters, you can use soft knitted ones.
- Diapers (new-born baby size) and cotton nappies. Take them in bulk as you would be changing them time and again. New-born babies poop often.
- Baby comb or a brush.
- A baby blanket, a cotton sheet, and a baby pillow.
- Cotton pads for wiping the baby or baby wipes (whichever you prefer).
- A set of dry sheets/plastic sheets.
- A soft towel for the baby.
- A baby bottle with spoon or a feeding bottle. Hospital staff may need this for feeding the baby. But if your baby could take your feed, then nothing can be more magical than that.
|Sr. No.||Products||Buy Now|
|1||Mittens, Cotton Caps and Booties Set||Buy From Amazon|
|2||Front-open T-shirt||Buy From Amazon|
|3||New-born Baby Soft Swaddling Blanket||Buy From Amazon|
|4||Pampers New-born All round Protection Pants||Buy From Amazon|
|5||Baby Moments Cotton Squares||Buy From Amazon|
|6||Chicco Brush and Comb||Buy From Amazon|
|7||Waterproof Baby Bed Protector Dry Sheet||Buy From Amazon|
|8||Infant Baby Head Shaping Pillow||Buy From Amazon|
|9||New Born All Season Ultrasoft Baby Blanket||Buy From Amazon|
|10||BRANDONN New-born Wrapper Bath Towel||Buy From Amazon|
Essentials for the Birth Partner
You may have a birth partner or a support person who is going to stay with you throughout your hospital time. Here are the things you should include in your hospital bag list for delivery for them -
- A blanket/cotton sheet and a pillow.
- At least two sets of clothes.
- And the basic items like a bath towel, a toothbrush, a toothpaste, a mobile phone charger, slippers, and a comb.
- Snacks such as biscuits. To avoid oily/fried snacks.
What Not To Pack in the Hospital Bag For Delivery?
There are certain things you should never bring to the hospital. These include -
- Heavy cash, valuable items, or jewellery.
- Any medications, as these, will be provided by your doctor.
The Best 5 Hospital Bags for Delivery in India
Worried about how will you take all your essentials to the hospital? Well, we at NewMumLife, have reviewed the top 5 bags that you can use for your hospital stay. They differ in their size, material, and the number of compartments for you to choose as per your requirements.
1. Skybags Cardiff Duffel
A sturdy duffel that gulps all your things to carry to hospital for delivery.
With a durable design, this duffel offers a main compartment with an ample capacity of 39 litres. It includes pockets on the front and on the sides for an extra amount of space. This duffel comes with wheels for that extra mobility.
Skybags Cardiff DuffelBuy From Amazon
It is made of polyester material and features a butterfly lock and adjustable straps.
- Dimensions: 55 x 29 x 29 cm & volume capacity of 39 litres
- Polyester outer with a strong base for added support
- Equipped with butterfly lock
- 2 compartments and extra pockets for better organization
- Suitable for up to 3-4 days of hospital stay
- Comes with 3-year manufacturer warranty
- Adjustable straps that you can raise across the shoulders or the back
- Trolley design with wheels to carry the bag with ease
2. Fur Jaden Duffle Bag
A unisex textured leatherette that is stylish & spacious.
Fur Jaden offers this convenient duffel bag to assemble all your standard hospital essentials. You can carry this versatile duffel in your hands or on your shoulders with a shoulder strap.
Fur Jaden Duffle BagBuy From Amazon
It offers a large spacious compartment that is good for your 3-4 days of hospital stay. Made of sturdy and water-resistant material, it is the perfect choice as your hospital bag for delivery.
- Dimensions: 47 x 28 x 27 cm & volume capacity of 35 litres
- Durable and high-quality artificial leather
- Water-resistant material
- Quality zips and accessories
- Huge spacious compartment
- Suitable for 3-4 days of hospital stay
- Padded double handles and an adjustable shoulder strap
- Front pocket for easy access
- 6 months manufacturer and seller warranty against manufacturing defects
3. R for Rabbit Caramello Delight Maternity Bag
A durable and waterproof mother and baby organizer bag in India.
This bag is made of high-quality water-resistant material that guarantees long life and usage. You can use this bag as your hospital bag for delivery to carry your baby items, as a diaper bag, or even as a backpack.
R for Rabbit Caramello Delight Maternity BagBuy From Amazon
It comes with 9 pockets to hold all the infant items. Insulated pockets help to keep the food at the right temperature. It also incorporates a changing mat for the diaper changing sessions.
- Dimensions: 45.8 x 35.2 x 9.4 cm
- Large capacity with more than 9 pockets to hold all the essentials
- Comes with diaper changing mat
- Has insulated pockets to keep food at the right temperature
- Very useful both a hospital bag and a diaper bag
- Usable as a backpack and can hold a 15” laptop with its accessories
- Available in 3 different colour combinations
- Made of water-resistant fabric
4. Offspring Mama Bag
The lightest bag to carry all baby essentials.
This Mama bag by Offspring is the lightest of all and weighs merely 400 grams. It is made of “Rexin” material that is washable and easy to maintain. The capacity is enough to carry almost all baby care products. It comes with a changing mat that will be helpful during your diaper changing sessions.
Offspring Mama BagBuy From Amazon
It offers 3 storage compartments (main, front, and back) to keep the products in an organized manner.
- Dimensions: 43.2 x 30.5 x 19.1 cm
- One main zip compartment with 1 front and 1 back zip pockets
- Includes baby changing mat
- You can use it both as a hospital bag and a diaper bag
- Has an adjustable strap to carry it
- Economical to buy
- Washable and easy to maintain
- Made of "Rexin" material
5. ChumbakBoho Spirit
A perfect “Made in India” bag to hold your essentials.
ChumbakBoho SpiritBuy From Amazon
This bag is made in India with a combination of PU and canvas. It is easy to carry as it comes with an adjustable shoulder strap and double handles. It includes one main zipper that can hold all your essentials to keep you organized.
- Dimensions: 23.88 x 41.91 x 21.08 cm
- Can be wiped with a dry/damp cloth for cleanliness
- Includes one main zipper and double handles with an adjustable shoulder strap
- Available in colourful prints and intricate patterns
A good hospital bag for your delivery should be able to fit in all your required items. It should be spacious enough while being easy to carry for that extra mobility. Select the one from this list of top 5 hospital bags for delivery in India that we find may suit your requirements.
This hospital bag list for delivery must complete everything that you might need. You will be well prepared to head to the hospital when it's time for your baby to arrive and you may never miss a thing. Everything will be smooth and you will be home with your little bundle of joy.
NewMumLife Tip: In the last month of pregnancy, keep your medical records handy. This is important if you are traveling or going out, such as, to the office. Also, your stay in the hospital will also depend on the type of delivery (C-section or vaginal). It would be better if you pack your bag according to that. Usually, it is 1-2 days for normal delivery and 2-4 days for a C-section delivery.
Wish you a healthy and safe delivery!