There can nothing be more miraculous than breastfeeding the baby. Mother’s milk is the best source of healthy fat and nutrition for babies younger than 6 months. However, in this fast-paced life, there are circumstances when mothers have to rely on alternatives due to several reasons. Mothers may be working and do not have enough time to pump out, insufficient milk supply that cannot fulfill the baby’s nutritional requirements or some kind of medical problems. Fortunately, in India, we do have the baby milk powders available that are just as good as a mother’s feed. Mothers can safely use this formula milk as and when required. In this article, we list the best formula milk in India that is high in nutrients and serves the baby’s growing needs. The brands that we mention have owned the trust of mothers time and again with their quality and are pediatrician recommended too. We also try to answer all the possible doubts related to formula feeding in our best possible way. Read on to know more!
What You Need to Know About Baby Formula Milk
Nothing can be better than serving breast milk to babies. So, if you are a lactating mother, then try and breastfeed your baby as much as you can. But, if due to some reasons you cannot do so, then this article would try and answer all your doubts regarding baby formula.
1. When to start the formula?
Baby formula can be served even to a newborn baby as and when recommended by the pediatrician. You can easily switch to formula if your breastmilk supply has suddenly dropped or you are not able to breastfeed your baby at all.
2. When and how to serve the formula to babies?
Serve the formula milk when your baby shows signs of hunger. Use boiled water to prepare the formula milk. Make it fresh and immediately feed it to ensure hygiene and safety. You can spoon-feed your baby or serve it in a feeding bottle. The feeding bottle that you choose should be BPA free and from a good brand. The best is to use a glass feeding bottle and you can also check out our article on “Best glass feeding bottles for babies in India”. Most importantly, do not add anything to the formula. Give it as it is just like feeding breastmilk.
3. How much quantity to serve?
Ideally, younger babies should be fed every 2-3 hours during the day and every 4-5 hours during the night. The quantity to be served varies as the babies grow. Newborn babies do not consume more than 30-40 ml. The quantities change to 60 ml, then to 90 ml, and so on as babies grow.
4. How to know if the formula suits your babies?
There are various indicators to decide if the formula milk suits your baby or not. The spit-ups may suddenly increase, the baby gets constipated, excessive gas or indigestion, and not gaining recommended weight are some of the indications that the formula is not suiting the baby.
5. Can we give formula with breastmilk?
Yes, you can. Formula milk can very well supplement breastfeeding and both can be given simultaneously to the baby.
6. How long to continue with formula milk?
Usually, formula milk is suggested till 1 year of age. After that, you can switch to animal milk, such as cow, goat, or buffalo milk.
7. Can formula milk replace breastmilk?
The answer is No. Breastmilk is the best source of nutrition for babies but formula milk is the closest form of milk that can be given when the need arises. Formula milk is expensive and has short expiry periods too.
8. How to choose the right formula?
Formula milk has associated stages according to the baby’s age, such as a Stage I formula is for babies 0-6 months and so on. You should choose the product according to your baby’s age.
9. Can I reuse the prepared formula?
No, you should not reuse the prepared formula milk. It should be discarded after a maximum of 10-15 minutes. You should not even try to reheat and feed it to your baby. Make fresh preparation as and when required.
10. Which is the best formula milk in India?
In this article, you are going to find the best formula milk in India for babies. We have considered the reviews of different mothers before selecting them in our top list.
Tips to Prepare Best Formula Milk in India for Babies
- Always feed as much as the baby demands. Never try to overfeed. Babies know the quantity they require.
- Use sterilized bottles to prepare the feed.
- Avoid giving animal milk to babies younger than 1 year.
- Clean your hands properly before making the feed.
- Do not store the formula for more than 10-15 minutes and do not reheat it. Make it fresh as and when required by the baby.
- Use boiled water to make the feed and prepare it as per the instructions given on the box.
- Discard the formula when it reaches its expiry stage.
- Hold the baby upright and make her burp after you feed to avoid spit-ups.
- Do not consume the left-overfeed. Discard it.
- Give only the recommended quantity as per the baby’s age. Neither less nor more.
- Always check for indications in your baby after you switch to a new formula brand.
- Limit switching to different brands if your baby is well adjusted to the present formula until required.
Best Formula Milk in India for Babies (0-6 months)
Here, we list the Stage I best formula milk in India for babies (0-6 months). The brands that we list also offer the higher stages and you can make your choice according to your baby’s age.
1. Enfamil A+ Stage 1: Infant Formula
From the highest-rated brand with DHA, ARA, and other required minerals
Enfamil A+ Stage 1: Infant FormulaBuy From Amazon
Promoted by Mead Johnson Nutrition, Enfamil has over 100 years of expertise in child nutrition. This formula milk contains adequate levels of DHA and ARA that are essential for a child’s cognitive development. It is easy on the little stomach, thanks to its included probiotics and dietary fibers GOS and polydextrose that have been shown to soften stools. The formula also contains choline and iron that promote growth. Parents recommend this brand as it does not lead to baby gas, fussiness, or constipation.
- Expert recommended levels of DHA and ARA
- With choline and iron
- Includes cow milk protein
- Contains lactose
- Easy to digest
- With probiotic and dietary fibers
- Trusted by parents and healthcare professionals
2. Aptamil Stage 1 Infant Formula with GOS & FOS BIB
With GOS, FOS, DHA, ARA, nucleotides, iron, and folic acid to support overall growth
Aptamil Stage 1 Infant Formula with GOS & FOS BIBBuy From Amazon
With over 120 years of nutritional discoveries and over 4 years of research on breast milk, Danone brings this formula with balanced and age-appropriate nutrients. It is a unique blend of GOS, FOS, DHA, ARA, Vitamin A, C, and D, and iron. Clinically tested, it does not result in a gas problem in babies and improves fussiness. With just the best ingredients and no added preservatives, feel safe while feeding this formula to your infant. Its 60:40 whey casein ratio and 100% lactose support digestive health. With such capabilities, it is one of the best formula milk for babies in India.
- Blend of GOS and FOS and other essential vitamins and minerals
- Age-appropriate nutrients
- Improves immunity
- 100 % lactose
- With prebiotics to improve the gut health
- Fortified with appropriate levels of iron
- Contains cow milk protein
- Economical and readily available
3. Nestlé LACTOGEN 1 Infant Formula Powder
Spray-dried infant formula with Probiotic (L.reuteri) for infants
Nestlé LACTOGEN 1 Infant Formula PowderBuy From Amazon
Nestle is the world's leading nutrition, health, and wellness company. This formula milk by Nestle serves the nutritional needs of a growing baby. It contains whey protein, a component of milk that is easier to digest. One of the best formula milk for babies in India, it is enriched with essential vitamins, minerals, milk solids (62.3%), demineralized whey, soyabean oil, corn oil, folic acid, and much more. Loaded with probiotics, this formula milk improves gut health too.
- Spray-dried infant formula
- Safe, hygienic, and convenient packaging
- With probiotics
- With whey protein and lactose
- Contains folic acid
- Good taste
4. Dexolac Stage 1
Spray-dried infant formula enriched with iron, calcium, magnesium, phosphorus, and Vitamin D
Dexolac Stage 1Buy From Amazon
Providing optimal nutrients during the baby’s growth years, this formula has achieved its place amongst the best formula milk for babies in India 2021. It has easy to digest proteins and contains all the essential nutrients required for a baby’s development. Delivering quality and nutrition, this product has earned returning customers. This formula milk provides energy levels of 63 kcal/100ml and is enriched with iron, calcium, magnesium, phosphorus, and Vitamin D. It contains Omega 3 and Omega 6 fatty acids for effective brain development. Give your baby this richness of nutrients to make him/her grow healthy.
- Improves immunity
- Aids digestions
- Contains nucleotides, iron, and folic acid
- Spray-dried infant formula
- Enriched with calcium, magnesium, phosphorus, and Vitamin D
- Provides energy levels of 63 kcal/100ml
- Contains Omega 3 and Omega 6 fatty acids
5. Similac Advance Infant Formula Stage 1
With a blend of nucleotides to support the baby’s developing immune system
Similac Advance Infant Formula Stage 1Buy From Amazon
Similac formulas by Abbott Nutrition are preferred worldwide to support kids’ nutritional requirements. This infant formula by Similac is a spray dried milk substitute optimally designed for a baby’s growth and development. The formula has all the essential fatty acids, vitamins, and minerals to support brain and bone development. It contains neuro-nutrients such as Omega 3 and 6 fatty acids. With a blend of nucleotides, it supports the baby’s immune system. It is light on a baby’s tummy and also promotes calcium absorption.
- Contains Omega 3 and 6 fatty acids, choline, iron, taurine, iodine, folic acid, and zinc
- With a blend of nucleotides
- Has calcium, Vitamin D, and phosphorus, and essential fatty acids
- Easy digestion
- Promotes calcium absorption
- Supports the immune system
- Good for brain and bone development
Every parent wants the best for a child. And when it comes to health, a baby simply deserves the finest. Infant formulas are the first foods for your baby that are responsible for the overall growth and development. Selecting the best one is, therefore, a difficult decision and can never be compromised. As parents, we are always concerned about the products we are serving to our babies. Our minds are equipped with questions like what quantity to offer, how to prepare and store, or which brand to use. In this article, we have tried to answer all the doubts related to formula milk and also listed the best baby formula in India. We have listed limited brands but they are the best among the lot. Hence, we hope this article answers all your queries and helps you choose the right product for your child.